Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Holy Week in Central America



When lent started at the beginning of March, Easter felt so far away. Now, over 40 days later, Easter has somehow already come and gone. And I have so much to catch you all up on!

I was fortunate enough to take a trip for Holy Week with Claire, my Honduras YASC buddy, and my friend Rosella (Claire’s roommate). We traveled to Panama City where we were able to see the sights and visit with the two YASC volunteers serving there, Joseph Morin and Rachel Carter. We had a chance to see a lot of the city from the historic ruins of Panama Viejo to the brand new underground metro. 

We also saw the locks at the Panama Canal, and it just so happens that they’re celebrating the 100 year anniversary of its completion this year. It was really neat to see one of the places my grandpa passed through when he was serving in the navy during World War II.

On Thursday night, we had the privilege of attending the Maundy Thursday service at St. Luke’s Cathedral in Panama City, complete with foot-washing by the Episcopal Bishop of Panama. It was a beautiful service.

After a long and somewhat stressful day of traveling on Good Friday Claire, Rosella and I arrived back in Tela. We spent the afternoon of Holy Saturday at Lancetilla Botanical Garden before heading to church for the Easter Vigil Service.
When Claire and Rosella went back to San Pedro Sula on Sunday morning, I have to admit the apartment felt a little bit empty. But I took the opportunity to catch up on some reading and take a nice long nap. I had such a wonderful time in Panama and I’m feeling well rested to dive back into teaching this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment