Friday, August 23, 2013

Settling In


As of today, I have been in Honduras for three weeks. Time is really flying by! I arrived safely in Tela last Tuesday, and got right to work moving in to my apartment and preparing my courses for school, which started this week. I met many of the students and parents during an open house on Monday, and began teaching on Tuesday. In addition to working with the graduating students on college and scholarship applications, I am teaching English for grades 7 through 11. So far classes have been going really well! The students are really sweet and seem anxious to learn.

The apartment where I’m living is rented by the school and owned by a woman named Suyapa who lives above the depository behind me. Both the school and Suyapa have been very helpful in getting things situated for me. Two women who work at the school took me shopping for food and supplies on my first day here, so I was all stocked up right from the beginning. They were both been live-savers during my first week here. They drove me to and from school, took me to the clothing store to buy my school uniform, and showed me around down town. The also took me to the internet store, drove me to pick up my bike (which they had repaired for me), and arranged to have a new washing machine brought over. I don't know how I would've gotten anything done without them!

I haven’t had a chance to see a whole lot of the town yet since I started working the day after I arrived, but I’m slowly learning where things are. I have also been blessed to meet another missionary (who just happens to be from Los Angeles) who works at the school with me. She has been such a great help to me as I am learning about and adapting to life in Tela.

Here are few pictures. Enjoy!







The view from my apartment

2 comments:

  1. Was just stopping by cause I have been thinking about you :D Looks like you getting right into things...How Fun and Exciting!! Thank you for sharing and keeping us posted. It's neat to see the Pictures and Glad you are blessed with awesome people around you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And time will keep flying by! :) I am a last year's YASC-er, and just passed my 7 month mark (I was a bit delayed arriving in Brazil due to visa issues), but I can't believe how quickly time passes. I'm super proud of you guys, and I look forward to following your aventuras during the year ahead! :) all the best!

    ReplyDelete