Sunday, November 10, 2013

Visitors!


I know I’m due to post FAQ Part 2, but I wanted to share a little bit about what I’ve been up to lately. It’s been a very busy, but very rewarding time. I have become an actress, translator, and aunt (again) in the last two weeks!

As I mentioned in my last post, we had High School Camp at the end of October. We headed out to Colprosumah, a camp just outside of town, and enjoyed some time learning about God, playing games, and getting to know each other a little better. For privacy reasons, I will not be posting pictures of the students online, but we had a great time at camp. For me, it was a chance to learn more about both the students and teachers outside of the classroom. The church and school also worked together to put on a play, which I had the pleasure of acting in (I had a non-speaking role). The play was directed by an outside program based out of a city about 3-4 hours away. There was only one woman in their group, and she stayed in the extra room in my apartment for the week they were here. She is a very nice woman and taught me how to play some Spanish songs on the guitar! We did the play twice, once during camp and once at the church the Saturday just after we got back (Nov. 2).

That Saturday was very exciting, and somewhat nerve wracking, as I found out that my sister Elizabeth was in labor that afternoon. I was thinking about my family all day, and when I checked in that night, I learned there was still no baby! I woke up the next morning hoping for good news, but discovered that the power was out. When it came back on later that afternoon, I got to meet my precious niece for the first time. She and my sister are both doing great!

Norah Rose

During this same weekend, a short term mission group of 3 adults, Scott, Sara, and Daphne, and 3 teenagers, Alyson, Kinsey, and Genevieve, from St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Virginia came down to work in the community for 5 days. I was given the task of translating for them – something I wasn’t sure I was quite ready to do. Ms. Barrera, however, assured me that I would do great, and my temporary roommate encouraged me and gave me lots of opportunities to practice. I spent time with them from Saturday through Tuesday helping with their outreach at the church, school, and in nearby villages, and translating for them whenever needed. I really enjoyed meeting and spending time with them. They all have such a heart for helping people, and their enthusiasm has encouraged me. While it was great to go out to the villages, I think my favorite experience with our North American visitors was the day they spent at the school. I was able to introduce the three teenagers to a few of my English classes. They got to ask each other questions and just get to know each other a little bit. Before the end of the day they were “friending” each other on Facebook. This is my favorite part about mission work. It was a blessing to watch as strangers from different countries became friends in half an hour. They talked about their favorite bands, what they do for fun, and what they like/don’t like about school. It was a unique opportunity for my students as well as our visitors to see the other in a new light.

Scott, Daphne, Me, Alyson, Genevieve, and Kinsey (Sara is taking the picture)

The group from St. Barnabas went back to the States on Tuesday, and I have settled back into my normal routine. I am so grateful for the opportunities I’ve had over the last couple weeks stretch myself and to build relationships with people from yet another part of the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment